Sunday, April 15, 2012

Not a Fan

Today, our pastor talked about being a true follower of Christ. Not a fan of Christ. Not someone who watches from the stands and claps and cheers, but doesn't move.  And I would say I have been a follower of Christ for a long time.  I made a commitment to follow Him and was truly transformed.  But the passage today still kicked my rear!  This is Matthew 16, right after Peter takes Jesus aside to scold him:

But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me.  For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man. "  
Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?


Lately, I have not been setting my mind on things of God.  And NO, I haven't been thinking of trashy things or anything! :)  I think I've just been thinking of myself.  Even with good intentions...things I want for the kids. Things I want for my house...for the kids.  Things I want for Scott and I.  Do you see the theme?  Things I want.  The reality that if I'm setting my mind on things of man instead of God means I'm acting as an enemy makes me ashamed.

I'm standing (with all my weight) on the truth that God knows what He's doing.  That He is working in the SNA on our paperwork and He has a plan.  That He takes care of us and provides for us...so worrying about what house we live in or what the kids wear is silly.  I don't know any more about where we are in the process than I did last time I posted.  But today, I'm not worrying about the world and am setting my mind on things of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...