Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Immeasurably More

Our story has become, well....known.  And I've thought for several days how to post, if I should post.  Even the blog has had it's 15 minutes of fame.  But I feel the need to address what's been going on.
I think it started with Klove. Someone notified them about our story.  And they called the house while I was in the restroom.  Glamorous, I know.  Not a soul was here but me.  Which is ultra uncommon but I was reading resumes while our house was being inspected.  So they were stuck with a few minutes of me.  That short interview was done weeks before it aired so I really kind of forgot about it.  We started school and were getting into the groove of real life.  While at the health department (dealing with the fact that someone gave my children the wrong immunizations..that's a whole different story!), Fox was getting in touch with me.  Apparently Klove led to Fox which led to CRAZY!
I'll be honest, I find it funny!  I mean, you have to laugh when the words "Uh babe, Good Morning America called today" come out of your mouth.  We are just normal people.  Like really normal.  So this stuff makes me laugh.
It is also extremely humbling.  I am receiving comments from all over the world from people just like us--normal people who adopted siblings.  Or foster and are adopting.  I've said many times that we are not the only people who have ever done this.  In fact, there are many who have done harder, more admirable things.  
So why is all this craziness happening?  I honestly don't know.  But we have decided to allow some of it for some reasons I wanted to talk about.  1. The kids are good with it.  That was extremely important to us.  They don't completely understand why we are receiving this attention of course.  To them, this life feels as normal as they know.  They are intrigued.  2. Scott and I and the kids all think that this may be some awesome outlet for God to do some really cool things.  
If I have learned anything in the last several months....it's that my timeline and my ways are NOT God's.  I would have done things differently in Peru.  But God knew what He was doing.  Often I would do things faster, but then things go exactly the way God wants and it's better.  I have a very new and different understanding of "immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20) because I could not dream up the way this story is going!!  
We are praying that God is glorified and that He uses us.  Whatever that looks like.  I may never know. But if one person chooses to act in faith on something they were afraid of, it's worth it.  

9 comments:

  1. Lauren, I heard your family's story as I was going to church Sunday on KLove. My ears perked up when it was said that you were from Blue Springs as I lived there for a few years when I was 5 years old! How I loved that place!
    Anyway, I didn't hear your story once, I heard it a few times, then clicked on Fox News and saw it again! I've been in a prayer group at church where we are focusing on God speaking to us and doing what he is directing us to do, and your story illustrated that beautifully!
    God Bless you and your family! I hope that you continue to blog as it is a constant reminder to the rest of us to be still and listen.........and to go and not be afraid!!
    Blessings! Jane Tipton

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sterling Family!! I heard your story on KLove and couldn't believe it. My husband is Peruvian and I lived there for about 4 years. We recently moved to the States to work on getting his citizenship. :] I just thought it was so awesome how you guys adopted a whole family! There are so many children in Perú that need a family. I'm so happy for these beautiful siblings and I pray that God will grant you the wisdom, discernment and love to raise them. I can't imagine going to another country and having to jump into a new school and a new family! I moved to Perú and didn't know the language but I had so many people around me who spoke English. I wish we lived close to you all so we could visit them. And speak to them in Spanish. I know they will find friends and God will comfort them during this difficult time of transition. And it sounds like they are already surrounded with so many people that love them! That is so awesome!! May God bless you all on this journey of faith and I look forward to reading about how the kids are doing.
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story...found it somewhere on the Internet, LOL. While we are not believers in any standard religion, I like it when good people do good things-just because they can.

    I have a friend who had four daughters and then adopted a son from India. They don't know his real age, b/c he was a street orphan when they chose him. That was six years ago now and Ben is the most amazing young man ever.

    Many good wishes for a wonderful life with your new brood. Happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see how our own story that God is writing through our lives is going to go. Just waiting on a final answer now. What an amazing and scary and awesome ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,

    I hate to be one more person looking for an interview, but I have a radio show in DC that would love to tell your family's story and help in any way we can. If you have time (I'm sure you're incredibly busy), feel free to email me at kate.brewster@istook.com and I can get you the details.

    Thank you,
    Kate Brewster

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did send you an email then to your personal email. I do hope you got it. I understand you are very busy. I look forward to sharing my story more with you and my heart for adoption. Trusting in Him, Julie Myers (julielmyers@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sterling Family, first congratulations on your adoption. My husband and I also have 3 children adopted from Peru. We have a son and a daughter who are 10 weeks apart and will be 21 this year and a daughter who is 15. We have had a wonderful adoption experience and can't imagine our live without our childern. We live in St Louis and there are many other Peruvian adoptees here so my children have grown up knowing other families just like us. I actually met a woman that I think was a cousin of yours who works at the Coach outlet at Lake of the Ozarks. She had to ask for my email as I checked out and was curious when I told her it was loveperu@yahoo.com. I told her about my kids and she told me about you. I did give her my email in case you ever wanted to talk. I also started a Facebook page called "POPA-Parents of Peruvian Adoptees" If you are on facebook please friend us. Lots of Peruvain adoptive parents sharing our stories, hopes and concerns for our kids. I hope to hear from you and if you need an ear of someone who has been there please let me know.

    Patty Zacher
    Mom to
    Drew 20 from Satipo Peru
    Zoe 20 from Callao Peru
    and
    Mia 15 from Chimbote Peru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thank you for the info! It is great to have support and others who have paved the way!

      Delete
  8. I spent yesterday reading all your blog posts. You are amazing and inspiring people! You have done something so beautiful and selfless.

    Please keep us updated on the progress of your beautiful family! May God continue blessing you in every way, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Dwell

I have gotten my head kicked in the last several weeks.  Do you know those weeks?  Where things are said about you-true or untrue-you don...